Saturday, September 3, 2011

MySpace Mayhem!


    It was like nothing I had ever experienced in my fourteen years of existence. No one could resist the mayhem that MySpace had generated. While it surely wasn't the first Social Network to conquer the web, it had without question generated more network volume than ever seen before.

     I remember like it was yesterday, the day I first entered the world of MySpace. Perhaps to fit in with the masses, I went home one day after a half-day of school and rushed to the computer to see what all the hype was about. I can recall the difficulty I encountered trying to signup for an account, because I had yet to get an email account. But then again what eighth grader actually did? Nevertheless I registered for an email account with Yahoo and gave MySpace another try, this time with great success!

      Perhaps what I remember most of life in MySpace times was the incredibly unique feature of being able to personalize your profile with graphics and music. This was perhaps, MySpace’s claim to fame. I often changed my background layouts from my favorite rapper to my favorite athlete and everything in between. MySpace was something I was certainly getting used to.

     MySpace suddenly became my favorite hobby, as I often prolonged hours of much-needed sleep to catch up on the latest in the social world. Even when I told myself to give a break and let it rest, I found it hard to resist. In essence I had become an addict, like everyone else. At first I couldn’t understand why MySpace was taking up much of my free time, but I soon realized its greatness. MySpace gave the world a never-seen-before experience in social networking. People could befriend each other and have conversations, without having ever seen each other before. At first this seemed somewhat unattractive, as it was virtually impossible to know whom you were talking too, but it became necessary to give people the benefit of the doubt. At least I surely had. In a way MySpace kept the world current on latest gossip, celebrity news and almost everything else under the sun.

     Aside from all its uniquely manifested features, perhaps the biggest reason MySpace became a revolutionary experience was the fact that it allowed to me have my first “cyber-relationship”. One day I sent a friend request to this young lady, who’s profile picture had almost instantly caught my eye. Initially conversation was limited, however one random day we gave each other our life story, which ultimately led to phone numbers being exchanged. Even though I knew I would never get a chance to meet her in person, seeing that she lived out of state, I kept telling myself I would find her. Perhaps I was just young, dumb and somewhat sprung.

     As I take a trip down memory-lane I can still remember the days of wanting to be a MySpace celebrity. MySpace wasn’t just any ordinary social network. If you didn’t have a MySpace account, you were considered “lame”. MySpace was mere greatness.

1 comment:

  1. It's a beautiful account of your experience. Check for few errors. I just caught one on line 3 of your fifth paragraph.

    ReplyDelete